Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Plans for the Michigan Trip

I am planning my trip to Michigan. Bill Perkins went to East Grand Rapids High School. I think he graduated in 1938. The Grand Rapids Main Public Library has a local historical department and I hope to do some research. They tell me they have a few yearbooks from this high school in the 1930's. I hope to find some more photos of Bill in those yearbooks.

These are a few of the places Bill spent his time in the 1930s. Many bands played at the Pantlind Hotel and Bill loved Big Band music. The home where Bill lived had to be sold after the death of his grandfather, Judge Willis B. Perkins. Buth's Ice Cream Shop was one of Bill's favorite hangouts during his high school years. I have a scrapbook that he kept during high school. He tells of dates he's gone on, achievements in sports, big bands he travels to see, dances he attends. It seems like a much simpler time. I hope we can find these places when I get to Michigan.




The Pantlind Hotel



BILL's GRANDFATHER's HOUSE FOR SALE





THIS BUILDING WAS A BUTH's ICE CREAM SHOP IN THE 1930s.

No comments: